Sunday, August 8, 2010

Tool #11

After looking over the different aspects of digital citizenship, it has been brought to my attention that I will need to spend blocks of time reviewing/modeling what good digital citizenship really means.
I need to create a couple of lessons on citing web resources. Not only will this better prepare them for the future, it will also give me a segway to plagiarism.
Plagiarism is a big issue in 4th and 5th grade. I will set up a couple of lessons, I know there is one on brainpop, on what digital plagiarism is and how it must be avoided. This will also correlate with writing and help them learn how to develop their own ideas-which is a whole other lesson.
I will also need to create a couple of lessons on "web manners" and what that means. They need to learn how written words can be misinterpreted and just the fact that they need to treat others fairly. A lot of this can be tied into community circle.

1 comment:

  1. Meredith, I'd love to help you with citing sources, plagiarism, and web etiquette. Lessons abound! I want to focus on digital citizenship during September. Let's do this!

    In addition, I think we need to include parents in our digital citizenship and online safety piece.

    Way to go on completing your 11 Tools! I am here to help you, so please ask. Looking forward to "Learning on the Wild Side" with you in 2010-2011!

    ReplyDelete